President Barack Obama gave a “ farewell” address last night. I did not watch, nor do I care. I have not believed anything Mr. Obama has said for some time. He has a week left in office and then the long antagonistic national nightmare will be over.
For a long time, I tried to be very objective about the actions taken by Mr. Obama. Unlike fewer and few Americans, I want the President to be successful even if I disagree with the policies. From the beginning of his initial election (and elections do indeed have consequences), he has disappointed. Mr. Obama leaves a nation, the world in many respects in a much darker and alienated place. His way of thinking he was right all the time has led to policies that will be wiped away.
It is hard to think of many achievements in the last eight years. There are plenty who would disagree with me, those that could not ever find a fault with Mr. Obama. Those that believe any and everything that has gone wrong is the fault of the opposition, due to racism, xenophobia, zealots and the unwashed. Nothing was ever his fault.
Let’s take a quick look at the record of some of those achievements in no particular order:
- Doubling of National Debt to over 20 Trillion Dollars
- Deposing the Libyan Dictator only to walk away with an even deeper problem
- Deal with Iran giving them billions of dollars to expand influence and promote and sponsor terrorists
- Leading from behind
- The Arab Spring
- Death and Lies in Benghazi
- Not even a good faith attempt at needed tax reform
- Flood of illegal immigrants from all over the world
- Attack on Freedom of the Press (ironic, isn’t it?)
- Curbing of religious freedom
- Improper use of IRS to punish “our enemies” (aka American citizens)
- Slow economic expansion, largely wasted stimulus
- Growing income inequality gap
- Higher taxes
- Extraordinary, excessive and improper use of Executive orders
- Expanded entitlements
- Rise of global Russian influence
- Failure to enforce “red line in the sand” in Syria
- Expansion of Chinese military in South China sea
- Failure to get anything at all for Cuban people in Cuban outreach
- Polarizing race relationships
- Isolation of former friend Israel
- Massive wave of new Regulations
- “You can keep your own doctor” health program
- Rise of ISIS
- Failure to recognize and address domestic terror
Wow, those all came out in about a minute. Enough.
Mr. Obama is some ways is a much better person than Mr. Trump. Thoughtful, has a political philosophy (albeit misguide and naïve) moral to an extent. However, as the soon to be former President, I hope he moves silently into the night. No need for a farewell, just wave goodbye.